Monday, September 10, 2007

I'm still here, I swear!

I just haven't been knitting much. I know, bad blogger, no cookie. But before we left Iceland I finished the first Kaylee sock *and* Wisp. I'm going to be knitting another Wisp, because, to be honest, I screwed it up major. Apparently I'd been decreasing too much, because one end is WAAAY narrower than the other. But I still have another entire ball of Kidsilk Haze left, so I'm set for that. And I bound off a little too tightly on the cuff of Kaylee #1, but it's already relaxed a little, so I'm not so concerned about it. I started my new job today, and I was hoping to be able to get some knitting in once I get on the phones (call center work again), but this campaign is A)sales (not customer service like I'm used to) and B) VERBATIM. Yes, Wenchfaery, the mistress of conversational customer service, is being forced to read a poorly written, grammatically incorrect script to who-knows-how-many poor Canadians. (by the way, if you live in Canada and have a Sears Account, expect your phone to be a-ringing!).

I've been really on the fence lately about buying a drop spindle. I *really* want to learn to spin, and The Sweet Sheep has some spindles on sale until TOMORROW, so I've gotta decide soon. My ultimate goal is to make my knitting and spinning self-sustainable; I always feel so guilty buying yarn and knitting-related accessories, especially when I have bills to pay.

A question for all the spinners out there: Is it difficult to spin fingering weight yarn on a top-whorl spindle? I ask because that is the weight that I work with the most, and it makes for lovely sock yarn. :D

Okay, I'd better get going to bed. It's almost midnight (EST-yay for having my time zone back!), and I do have to *shudder* work tomorrow. An upside of the crappy job-I finished reading Memoirs of a Geisha today, and I start the second book in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series (Dragonfly in Amber) tomorrow. Funny, the Outlander series is one I picked up due to a knitting-related recommendation. Kelley Petkun, the CEO(?) of Knit Picks has a lovely podcast that I listen to religiously, and one week she was talking about audiobooks. Now, at that point I had yet to be given all seven Harry Potter books in audio format and therefore had yet to discover the wonders of listening to a good book. (How do you think I got so much knitting done in Iceland-in ONE sitting??) Kelley mentioned that she really liked the Outlander series, and I'd mentioned it to the Viking, so when he was bored at the Deathly Hallows book release and browsing the shelves, he picked it up for me. My reading schedule had been filled with borrowed books before we left for Iceland, but when I got down to the book it only took me a day to read it. And, as the book is set in the Scottish Highlands, it talks about places I went on my honeymoon-makes me feel that much more involved in the story.

Didn't I say I was going for the night? :P I'd better do that now before I go off on a tangent again.

Ciao!

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Knitting in Iceland! If the trip wasn't entirely exactly what you had envisioned, at least that part is so very cool! (ha ha, stupid pun)

Thanks for your kind words about my sweater pattern. I hope to scan the chart (and I hope it's legible!) sometime in the near future. Not owning a scanner myself, I've got to locate a renegade one.