Friday, December 25, 2009

It’s Beginning to Look a Lot like Christmas . . .

IMG_2878

Merry Christmas everyone! I am currently at my husband’s grandmother’s house for Christmas Eve dinner (okay, it’s only noon, but I am assured there will be actual dinner at some point).  All of my Christmas gift knitting and crocheting is officially DONE – I have one last present to assemble, but the fibre part of it is done and stuffed and embroidered. I hope to bring you pictures of all of the finished items with their intended recipients – one has already been given out, the pair of wristwarmers I made for the Elf, so I’ll need to harass her for a picture, but everyone else gets their stuff tomorrow. Oh, I forgot, one gift needs to be felted still, but as it’s meant to be felted to fit, I will be doing it tomorrow after I give the unfelted gift.

Now that the gift making is finished, I feel kind of at loose ends. I brought the only two portable WIPs I have – a pair of socks and a cowl – but I’ve fallen out of love with both projects, despite loving the yarn. I would just tear ‘em out and start new projects, but I am without internet access for the moment so I only have the patterns on my computer to choose from, and of course I don’t want to make any of them. I was going to bring the yarn and needles to cast on a pair of mittens for myself, but figured I already had enough knitting – yeah right, like you can ever have *enough* knitting with you.

Oh! In other news, I finished the Icarus shawl!

IMG_2871

(Pictured with a DVD case for size comparison). It took me almost 6 months to the day (July 14 – December 13), but it is DONE. This shawl was my first large-scale lace-weight project, and although the knitting was tedious at times, I am head over heels in love with the finished shawl and I wear it every day. I even knit a beret in a similar shade of green to match. The yarn is Misti Alpaca Lace in Carbon Teal – the name is a little misleading, as the colour is a dark forest green and not really teal at all. Apparently there is an error in the pattern with regards to the amount of yarn required – the pattern says 800yds, and most people have needed anywhere from 850yds to 1200. As I only had two skeins (that Patti and Alex brought me back from their trip to the US earlier this year) I was VERY concerned, but I ended up with a ball of leftover yarn about the size of one of those tealight candles.

No comments: