Sunday, July 6, 2008

Confessions of a Broke-A$$ Faery

Forgive me, knitters, for I have sinned. It has been exactly one month, eleven days since I last bought yarn, and I am DYING. Everywhere I look there are new patterns I want to knit, or new yarn lines (have you SEEN the new Knitpicks sock yarn?!), but I'm trying to save up for big things. Mostly rent and bills - Viking is going to Peru for five weeks in September, which mean he conveniently misses two months of rent, and a month of gas, hydro, cable, internet, and home phone. I'm probably going to buy myself some yarn for my birthday (18 days until I'm 25), but I've gotta be careful because I have to support myself entirely for a month.

To try and quash the desparate need to buy yarn, I've been working on knitting from stash (I know, what a novel idea). I'm working on my Monkey socks still (almost at the heel flap of the second one), and on Friday I cast on for the Woodland Shawl (Ravelry Link). It's designed to be knit out of one skein of sock yarn, and I've got a LOT of those, so I grabbed the colorway that immediately came to mind when I saw the pattern:

WIP: Woodland Shawl

That is Mountain Color's Bearfoot in Yellowstone - I used the Olive for the Green Dragon socks, and I bought this one just 'cause I wanted another skein of this AWESOME yarn (sooooo soft). It's totally not my colours - I love autumny colors, don't get me wrong, but I've got a reddish complexion (some would even say ruddy), so I look like a tomato in red. But, my mom and my aunt both really like the colors, so if my mom wants it, she can have it - if not, we're wrapping it up for my aunt for her birthday in November. Here's a detail shot of the leaf pattern:

WIP: Woodland Shawl (Detail)

I'm only done one repeat, but it's already turning out really well. I've had to restart the darn thing FIVE TIMES, just because I didn't check what SK2P meant. I assumed it was Slip 1, Knit 2, Pass Slipped Stitch Over. Nuh-uh. It's actually Slip 1, KNIT 2 TOGETHER, Pass Slipped Stich Over. If I had just read the freakin' instructions first . . . *shakes head*. At least this yarn is very forgiving when it comes to frogging - it's got a little bit of mohair in it, but just enough to give it a halo, not enough to stop it from unraveling easily.

That's really all that's going on in my knitting world - I might be going to the Stitch 'n Pitch at the Rogers Center Skydome with a few knitters from around here, but that's not until mid-August. I'll post pics of the shawl as I get farther in, so you can see the loveliness that is the pattern/yarn combo. Ciao!

No comments: