Friday, May 16, 2008

Knitting Update

Hey everyone, I'm still here. I've just been taking a mini-hiatus from the internets (lots of knitting, gaming, and partying, as we sent Elfie off to Germany in true St. Catharines nerd style). I'm gonna start from my last post before the Knitter's Frolic. Well, the TTC was on strike, so Elfie and I didn't get to go. Boo. :( However, we had a grand adventure driving around the Niagara Peninsula looking for yarn. For those of you who may know the area, we went to St. Catharines, Welland, Fonthill, Beamsville, Grimsby, Port Colbourne, Wainfleet, West Lincoln, Pelham, Fort Erie... Elfie, did I miss any? We tried Rose's Fine Yarns in Fonthill, but they were closed for Webkinz Day, so we hung out there for a bit we're not 5 year olds, I swear, and then we drove around and tried to find a wool farm that ended up being a HUGE disappointment (empty barn, anyone?). Eventually, we made our way to Stitch, a knitting/quilting/embroidery store in Grimsby, the place I reviewed below. I bought Lantern Moon's Ebony Sox Stix, and a skein of Noro's sock yarn (self-striping wool single, so we'll see how it holds up), and some of my fave Clover stitch markers. All in all, it turned into a really fun weekend, even if we didn't get to go to Toronto.

What else? Let's see, I made the pompoms for the ties on Mosey (they look MUCH cuter with them, but it's starting to get too warm to wear them, so hopefully I can get another pic before I have to put them away for the summer), I'm still working on the &$%#*$&%) Claw Socks for Viking, and I'm working on the May Mystery Sock from Sock Knitters Anonymous (Ravelry Link). It's Fair Isle, which I have never done before, so I figured, "why not?" I knit the cuff on the 2.75mm Sox Stix, but because FI has so little give, they were too small, and I had to rip them out. I restarted them this morning on 3.5mm needles, and hopefully these will fit a little better. The FI is too labour-intensive to do on the move, so that's strictly a home-time project, and I bring the Claw Socks to work.

Oh, speaking of bringing knitting to work, I bought two new knitting bags at Michael's last week. One is a larger, purse-like bag, and the other is closer to those Go-Knit pouches, but it is clear vinyl and has a pretty solid base, so it just stands there while I knit from it. I'll take some pictures so you can see them - I would do it now, but work = no camera. This is the big bag in the same pattern I bought. It is HUGELY roomy, like, surprisingly so. This is the little bag, but I got mine in the Sage Green solid. The only problem with this little bag is that the carabiner is WAY too small. It won't even clip onto the strap of the bigger bag. I might go buy a bigger one and swap it out - the big selling points for me were that they matched, and that they were intended to use together. I'll take some pics of them full of stuff so you can see how much they hold.

Other than that, I don't really have a whole lot going on. With Elfie in Germany for the summer, I'm spending a lot more time knitting - which isn't a bad thing, as maybe I'll start finishing things for once. I'll be getting back to the Mystery Sock tonight, at least for a little while (I work nights during the weeks, and days on the weekends, so no late-night knitting tonight). I took a few pictures before I ripped it out. so I'll upload them tonight and hopefully have them up here in the next few days. Ciao!

No comments: